One-time relaxation for Verification of tax-returns for the Assessment years 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20 which are pending due to non-filing of ITR-V form and processing of such returns has been done by CBDT
Circular No. 13 /2020
F. No. 225/59/2020/ITA-II
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes
New Delhi, dated the 13th of July, 2020
Subject: – One-time relaxation for Verification of tax-returns for the Assessment years 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20 which are pending due to non-filing of ITR-V form and processing of such returns – reg.
In respect of an Income-tax Return (ITR) which is filed electronically without a digital signature, the taxpayer is required to verify it using anyone of the following modes with in the time limit of 120 days from date of uploading the ITR : –
i. Through Aadhaar OTP
ii. By logging into e-filing account through net banking
iii. EVC through Bank Account Number
iv. EVC through Demat Account Number
v. EVC through Bank ATM
vi. By sending a duly signed physical copy of ITR-V through post to the CPC, Bengaluru
2. In this regard, it has been brought to the notice of Central Board of Direct Taxes (‘CBDT’) that a large number of electronically filed ITRs still remain pending with the Income tax Department for want of receipt of a valid ITR-V Form at CPC, Bengaluru from the taxpayers concerned. In law, consequences of non-filing the ITR-V within the time allowed is significant as such a return is/can be declared Non-est in law, thereafter, all the consequences for non-filing a tax return, as specified in the Income-tax Act,1961 (Act) follow.
3. In this context, as a one-time measure for resolving the grievances of the taxpayers associated with non-filing of ITR-V for earlier Assessment Years and to regularize such returns which have either become Non-est or have remained pending due to non-filing/non-receipt of respective ITR-V Form, the CBDT, in exercise of powers under section 119 of the Act, in case of returns for Assessment Years 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20 which were uploaded electronically by the taxpayer within the time allowed under section 139 of the Act and which have remained incomplete due to non-submission of ITR-V Form for verification, hereby permits verification of such returns either by sending a duly signed physical copy of ITR-V to CPC, Bengaluru through speed post or through EVC/OTP modes as listed in para 1 above. Such verification process must be completed by 30.09.2020.
4. However, this relaxation shall not apply in those cases, where during the intervening period, Income-ta~: Department has already taken recourse to any other measure as specified in the Act for ensuring filing of tax return by the taxpayer concerned after declaring the return as Non-est.
5. Further, CBDT, also relaxes the time-frame for issuing the intimation as provided in second proviso to sub-section (1) of Section 143 of the Act and directs that such returns shall be processed by 31.12.2020 and intimation of processing of such returns shall be sent to the taxpayer concerned as per the laid down procedure. In refund cases, while determining the interest, provision of section 244A (2) of the Act would apply.
6. In case the taxpayer concerned does not get his return regularized by furnishing a valid verification (either ITR-V or EVC/OTP) by 30.09.2020, necessary consequences as provided in law for non-filing the return may follow.
7. Hindi Version follows.
Under Secretary (ITA. II), CBDT
Copy to: –
i. PS to FM/OSD to FM/PS to MoS(F)/OSD to MoS(F)
ii. PS to Secretary (Revenue)
iii. Chairman, CBDT & All Members, CBDT
iv. All Pr. CCsIT/ Pr. DGsIT
V. All Joint Secretaries/CsIT, CBDT
vii. CIT (M& TP), Official Spokesperson of CBDT for giving wide publicity
viii. O/o Pr. DGIT(Systems) for uploading on official income-tax website
ix. Addl. CIT (Database Cell) for uploading on the irs officers online website
Under Secretary (ITA. II), CBDT