Section 115VE of the Income Tax Act: Manner of computation of income under tonnage tax scheme
(1) A tonnage tax company engaged in the business of operating qualifying ships shall compute the profits from such business under the tonnage tax scheme.
(2) The business of operating qualifying ships giving rise to income referred to in sub-section (1) of section 115V-I shall be considered as a separate business (hereafter in this Chapter referred to as the tonnage tax business) distinct from all other activities or business carried on by the company.
(3) The profits referred to in sub-section (1) shall be computed separately from the profits and gains from any other business.
(4) The tonnage tax scheme shall apply only if an option to that effect is made in accordance with the provisions of section 115VP.
(5) Where a company engaged in the business of operating qualifying ships is not covered under the tonnage tax scheme or, has not made an option to that effect, as the case may be, the profits and gains of such company from such business shall be computed in accordance with the other provisions of this Act.